Monday, January 16, 2012

1955 BOWMAN BOB FELLER

SAY HEY! IT'S BOB FELLER ON TV!

KIDS, GET REGULAR REST, GOOD FOOD AND LOTS OF PRACTICE
AND YOU'LL BE CHUCKING IT 98 MPH IN NO TIME.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • It's the TV set set! Reminds me of when I was a kid, watching I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, Batman and Hec RamseySome don't care for the design, but I really like it and would love to build this set before I die. For the record, I'd like to be a millionaire before I die, too, and one is tied to the other.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Bob Feller's "My Favorite Baseball Memories'' is a hoot 
  • Note that he considered a catch made by teammate Larry Doby in 1954 as the greatest, the same year when his Indians and the New York Giants met in the Series. He probably forgot about the opposing center fielder named Willie Mays, who made a decent running catch on a can of corn in Game 1.
  • Fells was on record as saying Mays "put on the act pretty good.'' 
  • Another interesting story about how Feller, a 35-year-old spot starter, wasn't used in the '54 series.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Looks like Feller has a fastball grip and the cool confidence he could stick it up anybody's ass. He could (2,581 K's lifetime). 
  • He was officially clocked at 98 mph, a record later broken by Nolan Ryan.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • I purchased this card and got it autographed at the first ever card show I attended in 1988 in Tampa. It was at a mall and Feller was there signing for $2. 
  • I went to a dealer and bought the card cheap (tack holes included). It was very informal. Feller was standing around almost like he was waiting for Mrs. Feller to come out of a store so they could get the early bird special at Morrison's Cafeteria. He was very friendly and I'm glad I got the chance to meet him, but I wish I would've asked him what he really thought about Willie. 
  • Rapid Robert entered the majors at age 17. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make my high school team at that age.
  • Lost four seasons because he was serving in the military.
  • No less an authority than Ted Williams said he was the "fastest and best pitcher I ever saw during my career.'' 
  • I've heard it said finding something not autographed by Feller is extremely rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment