Monday, January 23, 2012

1959 TOPPS FRANK ROBINSON

THAT LITTLE REDLEG DUDE KICKS ASS.
WHAT A CREEPY CARICATURE.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • Just a classic set design. On this card, the black frame, yellow lettering and Redlegs logo make it one of the many iconic '59 Topps cards.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Whoever drew the cartoon of Frank Robinson nailed it. That looks just like him. 
  • I like the write up until we get to "He's swift and tricky on the bases.'' I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure you can't find the adjectives "swift'' or "tricky'' anywhere on his Hall of Fame plaque. 
  • Put up some great minor-league stats.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Looks almost like a stock pitcher pose. 
  • I'm thinking this was taken at Crosley Field, but it's just a guess.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • Note the first base position designation. After playing 24 games at first in '57, Robinson played 125 games there in '59.
  • Robby always will have a special place in my heart after his role in the first live game I ever saw.
  • I became aware of this card when I saw Rain Man in the late '80s. There's a scene where Charlie's girlfriend is thumbing through Raymond's cards and pauses briefly on this card. 
  • Many proclaim Robinson to be one of the most underrated legends of the game. Who am I to argue? 
  • Purchased this really nice example at a card show a couple months ago. Maybe the best $20 I spent on a card all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment