Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1966 TOPPS BOOG POWELL

kaPOWELLEEE!!
CLEAN BACK GOOD FOR DIGGING INTO HIS STATS
 WHILE EATING BRISKET.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • If Brooks Robinson is president of my baseball kingdom, then John Boog Powell is the vice. Who doesn't love a player nicknamed "Boog''?

THE BACK PAGE

  • If you were ever at Memorial Stadium, you know how far that left-center-field hedge was from home plate.
  • He did indeed bounce back in '66, hitting 34 homers.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Average at best. Taken at Yankee Stadium. 
  • I always thought Boog had a Mickey Mantle resemblance. Is it just me or is it because he's in Yankee Stadium?

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • Met Boog at his barbecue stand beyond the right-field wall at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in 1992. Really nice man and the barbecue was terrific. 
  • Was watching a replay of Game 1 of the '70 World Series not long ago and was amazed at how hard he swung the bat. Yet, the most he ever struck out in a season was 125 times (in '66, by the way) but that was the only time in his career he was in triple-digits. 
  • Purchased this card off eBay a couple years ago.

1 comment:

  1. If I ever get organized I think I'll work on a Boog Powell player collection. I do have four autos and three relics but my oldest regular cards are 68 and 69 Topps (the same picture by the way).

    ReplyDelete