Friday, January 27, 2012

1985 TOPPS DALE MURPHY

ALL NATURAL SLUGGER.
CONCERNING THE TRIA QUIZ, THAT OCCURRED IN GAME 7.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • Dale Murphy displays his classic batting stance on damn nice looking card.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Those last three stat lines are pretty amazing.
  • Won back to back MVPs in '82 and '83 and finished ninth in '84. 
  • Added another 37 bombs in '85, with 111 RBI and a .300 average.

PHOTO PLAY

  • If this photo was taken from the other side (looking at his back), I think he'd be a splitting image of the MLB logo.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • I think just about everyone likes Murph and it's unfortunate his numbers tailed off quickly at age 32 after a certain Hall of Fame middle of his career. 
  • Still, when I think "Dale Murphy,'' I think "Hall of Fame.'' 
  • He hit 398 homers, won four Silver Slugger Awards and five Gold Gloves.
  • Along with Roger Maris, he is the only eligible player with multiple MVP Awards not in Cooperstown. 
  • More food for thought: He led the league in home runs twice, slugging twice, runs once and walks once.
  • And how much weight would you give for character? I know the Hall of Fame is not for choir boys, but seems to me Murph was the complete package.

WHO AM I?

No comments:

Post a Comment