Sunday, January 29, 2012

'01 UPPER DECK BROOKS ROBINSON

THAR'S FOOL'S GOLD IN THEM THERE CARDS.
GODS DON'T ANSWER LETTERS, 
BUT BROOKS ANSWERS HIS FANS.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • Never a fan of cards issued after a player retires, I'll admit this one of Brooks Robinson is cool. Love the black and white background and I can live with the gold foil. My scanner, however, can't.

THE BACK PAGE

  • The standard highlights of his career, focusing on his defensive exploits and mentioning his '64 MVP season. 
  • Really hate that Upper Deck used the modern O's logo and not the cartoon bird. Looks completely out of place, like a hood ornament on a Shelby Mustang.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Topps never did Brooksie justice with his photos. He never had a classic action shot. This is, though. His not-so-smooth hand-flying-off-the-bat follow through has been on a loop in my mind since I was a kid.

MY UNALTERED CIRCA '71 SOUVENIR BATTING HELMET.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • You get a somewhat decent look at his distinctive batting helmet. I got a souvenir batting helmet at my first major-league game in '71 in Baltimore. After getting home, I contemplated trimming the bill and scratching off the logo to make it look more like Brooks'. 
  • I can't remember how I acquired this card, but I'm reasonably sure someone gave it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment