|THE FIRST PAGE: LOTS OF HITTING HIGHLIGHTS.|
This 726-card set has a signature rookie (the iconic Rickey Henderson card), a noteworthy second-year card (Ozzie Smith) and the final one of a 500-club home run member (Willie McCovey). It's also a set that has an unusual number of nice A's cards.
THUMBING THROUGH THE SET
|HAMILTON DISPLAYS SOME TEXTBOOK LEG DRIVE.|
BILLBOARD'S No. 1 SONG
- Blondie's Call Me.
SONG I MOST IDENTIFY WITH THIS SET
- Once in a Lifetime, Talking Heads.
|ANOTHER A'S PLAYER IN CENTER SQUARE CARRIES PAGE.|
- John Lennon is murdered in New York City on Dec. 8. Mark David Chapman is later convicted.
|BAT MEN: REYNOLDS, POCOROBA.|
- Eight U.S. servicemen are killed and five injured as a helicopter and cargo plane collide in abortive desert raid to rescue American hostages in Teheran on April 25.
|I'M OK WITH THE RICHARD-RYAN PAIRING.|
BREAKING NEWS FLASH
- Ted Turner launches CNN, the first all-news network on June 1.
|BUMBRY AND HARLOW AGREE: THE KID HAD SOME AWESOME CARDS.|
- Ronald Reagan is elected president in a Republican sweep on Nov. 4.
|STRONG FINAL CARD FOR McCOVEY; SUPER SECOND CARD FOR JONES.|
- Kramer vs. Kramer wins Best Picture at the Oscars.
|LEADOFF HITTER OF THE FUTURE (RICKEY) CAPTURED|
ON THE SAME PAGE AS ONE FROM THE PAST (MICKEY).
- What a Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers wins Record of the Year.
|POP QUIZ: NAME THE 4 WHO BECAME ALL-STARS.|
- 52nd Street by Billy Joel wins Album of the Year.
|AT LEAST MIKE SCOTT WON A CY YOUNG.|
- The Philadelphia Phillies win their first World Series, defeating the Kansas City Royals in six games on Oct. 21.
|THE WIZARD, FERGIE AND LaCOCK DOESN'T HAVE |
QUITE THE RING OF WILLIE, MICKEY AND THE DUKE.
- My Pittsburgh Steelers win their record fourth Super Bowl, defeating the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV on Jan. 20.
|HARRAH SPELLED BACKWARD IS HARRAH; APODACA SPELLED BACKWARD|
IS ACADOPA, AND BIITTNER IS SPELLED WEIRD.
- The U.S. hockey team wins the gold medal, defeating Finland in Lake Placid, N.Y, on Feb. 22 in the XIII Winter Olympiad.
|HA, HA. BOONEY FELL FOR THE OLD OCTOPUSS IN THE CAP PRANK.|