Thursday, February 2, 2012

1960 TOPPS ROBIN ROBERTS

THE ACE OF THE WHIZ KIDS.
THAT'S A HELLUVA TROPHY.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • It's not often I can say I knew a Hall of Famer, but I knew Robin Roberts. I wrote for my college newspaper at the University of South Florida and covered the baseball team in 1984. Roberts was the manager. I enjoyed my relationship with him and he was all class all the time. 
  • I wasn't a collector back then so it was no big deal being around a Hall of Famer.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Some pretty good bullet points, but an exploit or two from 1950 should be mentioned. With the "Whiz Kids" that season, he started three games in the last five days of the season and beat the Dodgers in the pennant-clinching game in 10 innings. It was the first pennant for the Phillies in 35 years and was Roberts' 20th win of the season.
  • I like how height is listed on the '60 cards. I guess he was 6-foot-1, but the way it's written, it looks like the time he was measured.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Because our school colors were green and gold, this card always reminds me of my college days covering Roberts and the Bulls.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • Interesting he was a switch-hitter, which might explain his prowess as the plate. He hit 55 doubles, 10 triples, five homers and drove in 103 and averaged of a homer and 24 RBI per season. Now that's helping yourself out.
  • Went 28-7 in '52 and won The Sporting News Player of the Year. That was the most wins since 1935. 
  • He began a four-year run in '52 where he won 20 or more games a year and then added 19 wins in '56.
  • Roberts was prone to give up the gopher ball: He led the league in homers allowed five times including 46 in '56.


NO, I DIDN'T GET THIS WHILE COVERING THE TEAM;
I GOT IT LONG AFTER I GRADUATED

No comments:

Post a Comment