Thursday, February 23, 2012

1984 TOPPS TRADED PETE ROSE

IN '84, PETE WAS ON A QUEST
 AND NOBODY WAS GETTING IN HIS WAY. 

THAT'S STAT-GEEK HEAVEN RIGHT THERE.

THE FRONT PAGE

  • Ah, yes. It's the forgotten Pete Rose card. However, it's always been one of my favorites. You don't see it a lot and it comes from a significant year in his career. 
  • I have to say when I purchased this set, I was more excited to get this card than the Gooden or Saberhagen.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Even if you hate him, you have to appreciate the numbers this cat put up. 
  • No need to write more. Click and dive in.

PHOTO PLAY

  • Expos logos and uniforms are always OK with me, even on Pete. 
  • I think this is a sweet-looking card front to back.

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • Rose attained his milestone 4,000th hit with the Expos on April 13, doubling off the Phillies' Jerry Koosman
  • It came against the team he left the year before because the Phils wanted to use him in a limited role. That, of course, would've hurt his quest to break Ty Cobb's all-time hits record. 
  • Before ordering Rose to do anything, it was always wise to check with him first to make sure he was OK with it.
  • I really used to hate Rose growing up, but as years pass, I'm really in awe of what he accomplished. Others were more talented, but few were as driven. 
  • Everyone knows about Rose's desire to compete on the field. I think this quote says it all: "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball.'' Who can't appreciate that devotion?
  • I'd be remiss not to plug his website, http://www.peterose.com/ where you can get his latest autographed gear. Always free shipping.

MY VERY OWN LIMITED-EDITION PETE ROSE BALL,
No. 64,143,556,814,191 of 109,333,106,056,234,192.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me mad that Topps were cheapskates when it came to paper. Just imagine all the sets from topps printed on the traded sets paper. The front of the cards bennefit too. The pictures is less blurry and the colors stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree. They offered the Tiffany sets for a few years but of course they were done in limited numbers and much more expensive than the regular issue. Topps did some white stock regular cards in its history ('64-'70 and a few in the '50s).

    ReplyDelete