Friday, March 23, 2012

BACK IN TIME WITH BECKETT

IT WAS ALWAYS EXCITING TO SEE WHO
AND WHAT CARD WOULD MAKE THE COVER.
I found a Beckett Baseball Card Monthly while going through my closet. I didn't think I saved any of these, so I was really happy to thumb the pages and take a walk back to May 1987.

This must have been one of the first issues I ever bought. I used to love these magazines and couldn't wait for the next issue.

Anyway, instead of me jabbering, I think I'll just post a lot of scans and let them do the talking. Enjoy.

WELL DONE STORY ABOUT THE LOST ART OF TRADING
AND THE EVILS OF THE PRICE GUIDE.

I TOOK THE WEATHER REPORT A LITTLE TOO SERIOUSLY.

SCOTT MISJUDGED A FEW HERE, DIDN'T HE?
 GOOD BLURB ON SPECK, THOUGH.

THE "HOT''' AND "COLD'' SUBMISSIONS WERE A LITTLE HOKEY.

DONRUSS TAKES A LITTLE HEAT IN ONE LETTER.

COLD: TAMPA AND HOUSTON POLICE. TOO FUNNY.

SOME PRETTY OBVIOUS TIPS, BUT FOR A NOVICE LIKE ME IN '87,
THIS WAS GREAT INFORMATION.
TO KEEP CARDS IN GEM MINT SHAPE, KEEP AWAY FROM OPEN FLAMES,
AND DON'T LET A BABY GNAW ON THEM? OK, GOT IT.


NOTE THE '52 TOPPS MANTLE PRICE.


THESE NEARLY 50-YEAR-OLD EYES REALLY APPRECIATE THE '87 TYPE SIZE.


THE '87 CARD PRICES WERE A CONSTANT SOURCE OF SCRUTINY.


THE '87 FLEER SET MESMERIZED ME; BOUGHT IT LATER IN THE YEAR, 
THE VERSION IN THE TIN. IT'S STILL IN SHRINK WRAP. NEED TO BUST IT OPEN.


BECKETTS WERE LOADED WITH SHOW ADVERTISEMENTS.

STILL HAVE THAT SPORTFLICS SET. I DON'T THINK IT'S HELD ITS VALUE.


WONDER IF RYAN STILL HAS HIS COLLECTION?

I FINALLY BECAME A SUBSCRIBER IN 1989.

1 comment:

  1. Occasionally I still get phone calls from Beckett begging me to come back to them.

    ReplyDelete