Sunday, April 15, 2012

STUCK ON STICKERS

COVER BOY PETE'S FINEST MOMENT.
I was always better at collecting than applying stickers. Going back to the era of Have a Nice Day smiley faces, Harley-Davidson No. 1 logos and Wacky Packages, I never could get them on straight. Or they wouldn't stick right. Or they'd have air bubbles or a crease. Then I'd end up peeling them in frustration.

Despite this handicap -- which goes hand in hand with not being able to draw a straight line, color inside the borders or create anything remotely cool with an Etch A Sketch -- I bought an '86 Topps Baseball Sticker Yearbook a long time ago with the thought of filling the album. Of course, I never did, thinking drawing Winky would've been easier.

Until now.


THIS YEARBOOK IS LIKE CRACK FOR STAT GEEKS LIKE ME.


THOUGHT ABOUT LEAVING A BIG SPACE IN BETWEEN THE ROSE STICKER HALVES
AS A HOMAGE TO TERRANCE AND PHILLIP.  
I dug out that album and actually found the stickers. For the past week I've been immersed in this sports-card scrapbook project, doing my best to get them in the album right side up. I'll tell you, this is a lot of work. No wonder I put this off for 25 years. I wouldn't have had the patience back when and probably would've stuck the whole thing in the garbage. 


I'M THE CLOSET TO FINISHING OFF THE EXPOS PAGE.
How I passed kindergarten arts and crafts I'll never know. This much is certain: I'm a lot better filling nine-pocket pages with picture cards.

On the one hand, it's good these stickers aren't too sticky; this allows third and fourth tries at centering but bad because they don't stay stuck when finally aligned. When I flip the pages, these stickers are flapping open. I've been stacking heavy objects in hopes of a permanent bond. Wacko Glue might be the next option.


AND THE FARTHEST FROM THE INDIANS'.


WHAT, NO DENKINGER STICKER?
Then there's the issue of separating sticker from backing. This exercise proves my vision sucks just like the alphabet chart at the eye doctor does. And I haven't even mentioned that some of the stickers, especially the oval ones, aren't cut cleanly and they tend to rip. Bottom line, I haven't dropped this many f-bombs since I last rammed my toe into the bedroom nightstand in the middle of the night. 


PRETTY CLOSE TO FINISHING OFF THE (NOT REALLY) FUTURE STARS.

Despite the hardship, the album is pretty cool and has a lot of stats and a thorough recap of the '85 season. I might even put up a sticker want list; although, I doubt anyone collects these things. But if anyone does, I have doubles, not to mention double-vision since starting this project.


FINAL TEAM-BY-TEAM STATS LIKE ALL THE NEWSPAPERS PUBLISHED. 


THE BACK COVER, AND IT'S DAMN COOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment