Wednesday, May 9, 2012

IS THE ITCH IS RETURNING?

AT LEAST I GOT A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.
I disconnected from Major League Baseball right about the turn of the century. With the '94 strike still stinging and steroids strafing the game's hallowed records and turning nearly every contest into a fake video game, I'd seen enough.

Until maybe now.

I've been giving MLB 2012 a chance this year, and I'm getting hooked again. I like the offensive regression and the pitching reassertion. I'm watching it on TV, listening on the radio and reading more. I'm even thinking of buying a pack of  '12 cards.

I can't believe I said that.

It got me thinking. When did I last purchase a pack of the current year's cards? I actually remembered and found the cards: 2007 Topps. Here is what I got in that single pack five years ago: Tom Glavine, Mark Teixeira, Ryan Howard, Carlos Silva, Tim Hudson, Jason Schmidt, A.J. Burnett, Freddy Sanchez, and Raul Ibanez. Several future Yankees there.

That's nine cards, enough to fill a page, but I think the pack had 10. I need to check the couch cushions. Anyway, looking at these cards now I realize why I didn't bother to buy more.

The last modern-era set I completed was '95 Topps. Might I dip my toes back in the water and put together this year's? Well, let's see if I can actually muster the gumption to buy a pack.

Wonder where's the nearest Target?

1 comment:

  1. I agree the strike left a bad taste in my mouth. I stayed away until the final weekend at Tiger Stadium in the fall of 1999. I was casual until 2006, when the Tigers surprised everybody that year.

    I love the game and I loving sharing my childhood passion with my son.
    I just bought my first packs in many years at Toys R Us for my son, it was pretty cool watching him go through them. I think he may put this set together.

    I say go for it and let us know!!!!!

    ReplyDelete