Friday, May 11, 2012

OPENING NIGHT

HELLACIOUS ACTION SHOT.

THIS HAS A ROY HOBBS VIBE TO IT.
On the way home from work last night, I made a stop at not just any Target, a Super Target. And that can mean only one thing: Yes, I finally bought some new gardening clogs.

Actually, I purchased some new baseball picture cards for the first time in five years. This was done partly because I needed something to write about and partly because I'm on a baseball kick. Like Cold Stone Creamery Cake & Shake milkshakes. Cholesterol never tasted so good.

FROM PERFECT TO PERFECTLY AWFUL.
Back on point, I bought a regular 12-card pack and a 72-card box for ages 6+. I was not carded at checkout even though I'm positive I saw the register flash the sales associate to do so.

The box was interesting. First, the plastic covering was nearly as impenetrable as those plastic shell domes for electronics and such. Then when I got it opened, the cards, packaged smartly like the old cello packs, were housed on one side of a divided box but nothing but air on the other.

THIS WOULD'VE FIT IN NICELY WITH THE '73 SET.
Did I get ripped off? Shouldn't there be something else in the box, like more cards? 

Probably not. I've seen this clever packaging before. Makes it seem you're getting more ... only ... not.

HE'LL THROW ANOTHER NO-HITTER.
I was pretty happy with what I got inside. The stock is impressive, slick but not sticky glossy like the wet-paint-like Topps cards from '93-'95, my only real experience with the modern era. The photography is impressive, including No. 136 Casey McGehee, No. 261 Kyle Blanks, No. 130 Asdrubal Cabrera and No. 45 Jhoulys Chacin. Like many have written, the player's position needs to be out front.

I don't know how many League Leader and Active Leader cards there are, but I got a total of eight from the box, including No. 324 featuring The Clean (Jim Thome) surrounded by The Clear (Alex Rodriguez) and The Cream (Jason Giambi). 
LET'S PLAY GUESS WHO'S THE REAL MAN.
In the single pack, I got No-No. 250 Jered Weaver, and he pairs nicely with No-No. 254 Philip Humber from the box.

That about covers the highlights of the opening. I'm officially back to the future.

BREW CREW FANS, THIS ONE'S A KEEPER.

I CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT THIS CARD.

COULD THE ROOKIE TROPHY BE ANY SMALLER?

No comments:

Post a Comment