Monday, July 2, 2012

SIZE MATTERS

HORNER WAS A HIT AT THE HOT CORNER.
THE BACKS WERE A LITTLE PEDESTRIAN.
The baseball card mini-craze officially has taken over little ol' me. Before this year, minis, specifically 1975 vintage, never appealed to me, though I do have a few '49 Bowmans that are intriguing. After completing my beloved '75 Topps set last year, I never even gave the wallet-sized twins so much as a second look.

Certainly reading Night Owl at Night Owl Cards majorly talk up minis probably had an influence in shrinking my perspective. Then I got major wood over the mini '87 inserts in this year's Topps base set. I completed Series 1 and am close on the second 50 from Series 2.

But that didn't quench my mini-thirst.
HIGUERA REALLY LOOKS SHRUNKEN.
I recently came across an unopened pack of the mini-leaders cards from '87 that I had stashed. They are similar to regular '87 Topps team leaders cards, but the backs are totally different. Technically, the cards are smaller than the '75 minis (2 1/2 by 3 1/8 inches vs. 2 5/32 by 3 inches), and when I opened it, I immediately thought, "I need to complete this set, too.''
A NICE DONNIE BASEBALL.
So I found the rest of the cards on eBay for under $10 and now I have all 77. I've been shuffling through them the last week and I find them just plain fun to look at and handle.  
DITTO, BULLDOG.
I'm looking forward to completing the '87 insert minis, especially getting the Brooks Robinson card, but I'm not sure how I'll react to not having another mini project to complete. Topps made '86 leader minis, but I'm not thrilled with that design.
AT 5-8, CANGELOSI FIT THE BILL.
Maybe I will reconsider those little guys from '75. 
LITTLE ROCK.
HAYES' LEGS STILL LOOK SPIDER-LIKE.
LOVE THE STIRRUPS.
NOT A BAD LOOKING CHECKLIST.
I LIKE THE TILT OF THE CAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment