Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I'M ALL EARS


My earliest baseball-on-the-radio memory was Milo Hamilton calling Atlanta Braves games in the early 1970s. Living in Tampa, we got a steady dose of the Tomahawkers. It was first time I connected a voice to a team.

Now, because of the Internet, I'm connecting a lot of other voices to teams through MLB.com's AtBat app. 

This is becoming addictive. Now I think I like listening more than watching.

As I write this, the Rays-Mariners game on the West Coast is piped into my headphones. While I purchased the app to follow the Rays, I'm getting a lot more for my money, mainly the sounds of the game. 

The doughnut being thwacked off the bat on the on-deck circle.

The calls from the vendors roaming the stands.

The media pressbox announcer relaying stats.

The Union Pacific train motoring near Safeco Field.

The bat tapping spikes.

Even the crack of the bat and ball slapping the glove are crisper than on TV.

Plus, I love having the game available everywhere: on my bike, at work, at the store, in the car. 

Even on the crapper.

It's the modern equivalent to peering through the knot hole. A radio feed is like being in the cheap seats on a sun-splashed afternoon.

And then there's Vin Scully. AtBat is worth it solely for him. Talk about a master of the mike, Scully on the radio is Babe Ruth in the box. Articulate and prepared, he's honey on the tongue.

If you can't remember the last time you've heard a game, open your ears to the sweet sounds of baseball.  

2 comments:

  1. We didn't have a cable at my house as a kid, so even though i grew up in the 90s, i was still a "baseball on the radio" junkie. Jerry Coleman, former Yankees second baseman was the Padres play by play guy, and I love that man. Almost convinced my wife to name our first child "Coleman". Since I moved to Texas, I've been able to catch the Astros games on the radio once in a while, and I really like Milo Hamilton's style as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coleman was really good in his prime; he's slipping a little. I really like Ted Leitner.

      Delete