|AN PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE OVERSATURATED |
'90S CARD MARKET.
|PIAZZA'S PROM NIGHT PHOTO.|
WHY I LIKE IT
- I don't, but let's feature it anyway because it qualifies as oddball.
- Odd crop. Odd nameplate placement. You can barely see the spike of the sliding baserunner. It's so bad it's good.
- For investors of '90s cards, it is "limited edition'' and features a counterfeit-proof hologram on the back, because who wouldn't want to forge this?
WHAT'S THE STORY?
- Ultra Pro pocket pages did a six-card set honoring the NL Rookie of the Year. Believe it or not, this is one of the better shots.
- They had one of Mike Piazza holding a golf club and another with a dumbbell. What, no card of him wearing a Speedo and holding a beach ball?
HOW I ACQUIRED IT
- One of the very first boxes of Ultra Pro sheets I bought had this card in it. What an insert! It blew me away so much that I immediately tossed it in my giant commons box like a piece of junk mail.
- Until going through that box recently, I hadn't seen it since. I doubt if I'll see or think of this card again.