Friday, August 3, 2012

ODDBALL ROLL CALL: '94 YOO-HOO BROOKS ROBINSON

KIND OF A CROSS BETWEEN '89 AND '91 FLEER.

I CAN GET LOST IN THOSE STATS.

WHY I LIKE IT

  • It's a Brooks Robinson card and it celebrates his defensive prowess. I love that the reverse has all fielding stats. You don't see that on other cards.

WHAT'S THE STORY?

  • The 16-card player set was issued in conjunction with Rawlings, honoring some of the game's Gold Glove winners. Gold-Glove-caliber defense excites me more than Silver-Slugging-caliber offense.

HOW I ACQUIRED IT

  • By buying a lot of that awful tasting chocolate drink. Collecting this set reminded me how I would get my mom to buy certain cereals as a kid that had cool toys. Seemed like the ones that had the best toys also tasted the worst. Mom didn't care; she made me eat it. Same dilemma here.

1 comment:

  1. Love the odd balls. Also it reminds me of a great line from the Bubble Boy episode of Seinfeld. The Bubble Boy's father played by Brian Doyle Murray says, "No friends. Just his mother and me. And I'm out there 6 days a week hauling Yoohoo."

    ReplyDelete