Monday, August 13, 2012

SAID REGGIE JACKSON


Few athletes are known by one name.

Reggie is one of them. 

He hit some of the most memorable home runs and never forgot to remind everyone he did.



His prodigious power was matched only by his braggadocious personality. Light-tower power and a motor mouth. It was a combination crackling with electricity. Just recently, he got into some hot water with the Yankees when he had the audacity to criticize A-Roid for using performance enhancing drugs. Typical Reggie. Always speaking his mind.  



"When you unwrap a Reggie bar, it tells you how good it is,'' Hall of Fame pitcher and former teammate Catfish Hunter once said.

Mr. October unleashed, courtesy of Baseball Almanac.


"I'M THE STRAW THAT STIRS THE DRINK.''


"After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson; I really mean that.''


"Fans don't boo nobodies.''



"every hitter likes fastballs just like everybody likes ice cream. but you don't like it when someone's stuffing it into you by the gallon. that's how you feel when (nolan) ryan's throwing balls by you.''


"Hitting is better than sex.''

"I couldn't quit because of all the kids, and the blacks, and the little people pulling for me. I represent both the underdog and the overdog in our society.''



"I didn't come to New York to be a star. I brought my star with me.''

"If I was playing in New York,'' Reggie said in 1973 with the Oakland A's, "they'd name a candy bar after me.''

"I have a hard time believing athletes are overpriced. If an owner is losing money, give it up. It's a business. I have trouble figuring out why owners would stay in if they're losing money.''

"I'm human and I've played my butt off for 10 years. I'm not a loafer; I'm not a jerk; I'm a baseball player.''



"In the building I live in on Park Avenue, there are 10 people who could buy the Yankees, but none of them could hit the ball out of Yankee Stadium.''

"It's a fickle town (New York), a tough town. They getcha, boy. They don't let you escape with minor scratches and bruises. They put scars on you here.''

"I was reminded (by pitcher Jim Bouton) that when we lose and I strike out, a billion people in China don't care.''


"October, that's when they pay off for playing ball.''

"Please, God, let me hit one. I'll tell everybody you did it.''


"So many ideas come to you (when slumping) and you want to try them all but you can't. You're like a mosquito in nudist camp. You don't know where to start.''



"The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play.''

"The only way I'm going to win a Gold Glove is with a can of spray paint.''


"The will to win is worthless if you don't get paid for it.''

"When you take a pitch and line it somewhere, it's like you've thought of something and put it there with beautiful clarity.''


"I MUST KILL ... THE QUEEN. I MUST KILL ... THE QUEEN.''



No comments:

Post a Comment