Monday, September 3, 2012

'73 UPDATE 6 AND MORE

PROBABLY THE BEST '73 ACTION SHOT.
TWO PRETTY GOOD PLAYERS IN BUMBRY AND EVANS.
After being out of town and missing last month's Dania Beach card show, it was showtime Saturday, and I knocked off 15 from my '73 want list. This, combined with getting a few off eBay in the past couple of months leaves me eight shy of completing the set.

I secured two of the biggest cards left on the list: No. 280 Johnny Bench and No. 614 Rookie Outfielders (Dwight Evans).

A handful of low- and high-numbers need upgrading, then there's the 24 blue team checklist cards. I don't think I'll meet my goal of putting this set to bed this year. My '73 connection won't be back until the December show. I'll probably go through eBay to get the last remaining regular cards and start getting the team checklists at the show.
ALWAYS FORGET THE LIP MANAGED THE ASTROS.
It wasn't an all vintage Saturday, however, as I moved to within 25 cards (26 if you count that No. 661 SP Bryce Harper) of completing '12 Topps, my first modern base set project since '95. 

And I scored a handful of Archives base singles and SPs, putting me  within 29 (30 counting that other SP Harper, No. 241) of finishing that set. Archives is just flat-out cool to digest in an album. If you haven't put that set in pages, you need to. The colors and the melding of the classic designs guarantees and enjoyable viewing and reading experience.  
MATCHICK LOOKING SPIDER-LIKE.
You can't forget those really cool inserts, especially the cloth stickers and 3D cards, but I'm a ways away from finishing any of those. That will leave plenty to target in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment