|THE FIRST PAGE: A QUINTUPLE OF HALL OF FAMERS TO START.|
What more can be said about this landmark 660-card set? This was a game-changer, a set that made you sit up and take notice. The rookie cards alone (No. 223 Robin Yount, No. 228 George Brett, No. 616 Jim Rice, No. 620 Gary Carter) would've ranked this set high in most collectors' minds. To me, it's all about the design, which perfectly meshes with the era. I was, and still am, memorized by it and remains a treat to flip the pages. Another notable feature was a 24-card subset (Nos. 189-212), showcasing the game's previous MVP winners. While all cards were released at the same time, according to the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards, the first 132 were produced in fewer numbers. Also, Topps produced a parallel mini version as a test.
THUMBING THROUGH THE SET
|CASH AND RUSSELL IN A POSE-OFF.|
BILLBOARD'S No. 1 SONG
- Love Will Keep Us Together, Captain and Tennille.
|BROOKS IN THE CENTER SQUARE, AS HE OUGHT TO BE.|
SONG I MOST IDENTIFY WITH THIS SET
- Pick up the Pieces, Average White Band.
|WHOO-HOO! TWO ROOKIE CUPS ON ONE PAGE!|
- Saigon is surrendered and the remaining Americans are evacuated, ending the Vietnam War on April 30.
|ERROR CARD ALERT: THAT'S NOT BUSBY; IT'S FRAN HEALY.|
- Apollo and Soyuz spacecraft take off for U.S.-Soviet link-up in space on July 15.
|REALLY COOL SUBSET.|
- President Gerald Ford escapes a scond assassination attempt in 17 days on Sept. 22.
|LEFTY NEVER LOOKED RIGHT WEARING A 'STACH.|
- John Mitchell, H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman are found guilty of the Watergate cover-up on Jan. 1; they are sentenced to 30 months to eight years in jail on Feb. 21.
|THE YOUNT ROOKIE AND ...|
- The three television networks agree to create a "family hour,'' which was an early evening time slot free of violence and sex.
|.... THE BRETT ROOKIE ARE ON BACK-TO-BACK PAGES.|
- Saturday Night Live premeires on NBC on Oct. 11 with George Carlin hosting.
|THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, NIGHT OWL.|
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest sweeps the top Oscars, winning Best Picture, Director, Actor and Actress.
|ALWAYS LIKED THAT GAME 4 CARD.|
- Jaws opens June 20, the first movie I remember scaring the beejeezus out of me. It's also the first movie I had to wait in a long line to buy tickets in advance.
|THE RYAN IS A CLASSIC.|
- The Pittsburgh Steelers win their first Super Bowl, defeating the Minnesota Vikings 16-6 on Jan. 12 and making my dad one happy Pittsburgher.
|AND SO IS THE GARR.|
- The Cincinnati Reds win their first World Series in 35 years, defeating the Boston Red Sox 4-3 in Game 7 on Oct. 22, causing me to cry knowing I had to face a bunch of Reds-loving friends the next day in school.
|ROOKIES AND MORE ROOKIES.|
- The Golden State Warriors win the NBA title, defeating the Washington Bullets in a four-game sweep on May 25.
|ARMBISTER AND LYNN SHARED A CARD AND A MEMORABLE WORLD SERIES.|
- Oklahoma (11-1-0) defends its national title in football by beating Michigan 14-6 in the Orange Bowl after previous No. 1 Ohio State loses in the Rose Bowl.
|THE LAST PAGE AND MY ONLY TWO MINIS.|
- The Philadelphia Flyers win their second consecutive Stanley Cup after defeating the Buffalo Sabres in six games.