Monday, September 17, 2012

ODDBALL ROLL CALL: 1992 DAIRY QUEEN BARRY LARKIN

ONLY THING MISSING IS A FLAG PIN ON HIS JERSEY.
LARKIN HAS SAID THAT .143 OLYMPIC AVERAGE
MOTIVATED HIM TO IMPROVE.

WHY I LIKE IT

  • It's the only card I know of depicting Barry Larkin as an '84 Olympian. The card (and set) has nice eye appeal. 

WHAT'S THE STORY?

  • Along with Will Clark, Larkin was an amateur at the time the '85 U.S. Olympic subset was produced by Topps, so he didn't have a card then. This makes up for it, seven years later.

HOW I ACQUIRED IT

  • Dairy Queen gave away packs of these cards that feature players from the '84, '88 and '92 teams with the purchase of an evil frozen tub of butter fat.
  • I built the 33-card set while gaining about a pound for every other card acquired and suffering numerous brain freezes and wearing a lactose mustache for a week straight.
  • I lost the extra pounds and eventually wiped my lip but managed to hang on to the set.

No comments:

Post a Comment