Wednesday, October 17, 2012

COMMON VALOR: 1986 TOPPS BO DIAZ


An awfully good evening action shot from a set that had a lot of standout catcher cards.

Tommy Herr slides into home, likely during the 1985 season, during an era when the Cardinals were the jackrabbits of baseball, the perfect Turf team that took small ball and turbocharged it.

Safe or out? Your guess is as good as mine. I researched but couldn't find out. I say ''out'' because it looks like Bo Diaz has the plate blocked.

A decent catcher for 13 seasons, Diaz was a two-time All-Star who had three consecutive double-digit home run seasons after being acquired by the Reds in '85.

Herr had his best season that same year, driving in a career-high 110 runs but hitting only eight homers. He scored 97 runs.

And on one night they came together at home plate, producing card No. 639.

4 comments:

  1. One fine day in 1990, when I was in third grade, my buddy brought this card into school. We were both catchers in our local little league, and we naturally loved cards showcasing the guys in the gear. I had never seen a card this cool before. Heck, at that time, I don't think I had any 1986 cards, since I only began collecting in '87.

    The best part? He let me keep this card, and I still have it to this day.

    Great memory, great card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's out.

    http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2009/03/awesome-night-card-pt-25.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That clears that up. I should've known you posted on this card.

      Delete