|THE ONLY THING MISSING IS THE MLB LOGO.|
|OH, WAIT, THERE IT IS.|
WHY I LIKE IT
- It's Willie McCovey, 500 home run club related and from a set featuring eight of the original 14. The others: Babe Ruth, Ernie Banks, Jimmie Foxx, Harmon Killebrew, Reggie Jackson, Frank Robinson and Mike Schmidt.
- The engraved leather/wood look reminds me of the fine Corinthian leather seats prominently featured in a certain car commercial from the mid-'70s.
- Full stats on the back are always appreciated for big-number guys. Uncovering and reading the card numbers, though, require a forensic microscope.
WHAT'S THE STORY?
- Available in specially marked packages of Post Cereals.
- Don't know why there are no cards of Eddie Mathews, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Mel Ott and Ted Williams. I keep waiting for Post to issue a Series 2.
- All of the logos and typography are a little overwhelming, kind of like the cable news channels with the scrolling updates and graphics splashed all over the screen.
- BREAKING NEWS ... WILLIE McCOVEY STILL HAS 521 HOME RUNS ...
HOW I ACQUIRED IT
- At a garage sale, thrown into a deal with a framed limited-edition Dogs Playing Poker lithograph. I have six of the eight cards, missing Schmidt and Robby.