Friday, October 26, 2012

SET OF THE YEAR

TO ME, THIS IS A ''WOW'' CARD.

I'm not a complicated man. I like New York pizza with one topping, beautiful women with brains and baseball cards with iconic images on the front and tabulated stats on the back.

What I don't need are limited-edition insert cards, especially those with hunks of jockstrap or clubhouse-floor debris woven into the cardboard.

All that changed with this year's 1987 Topps mini inserts. To call them inserts trivializes them. I'm nominating this set of the year, with Archives a very close second.

After building the first 100 cards in Series 1-2 through packs and card-show pickups, I got the final 50 from the Update series off eBay in a single purchase. In a rare occurrence, player selection and photo composition improved as the numbers increased. I connect with these cards because I began collecting as an adult in '87 and resumed this year after a more than a decade hiatus.

What topped it off for me was the Reggie Jackson card, one showing him in an Orioles uniform. You don't see many of those. Even though I was not happy when the Birds acquired that loudmouth in '76, I've always wanted a card of him in orange and black. (If only I could get that original '77 Jackson and not the airbrushed Yankee card.)

Anyway, I love this card. And it's not the only one. 


WATCH OUT FOR ANDRE, ANDREW.


TWO NAMES. TWO CARDS. ONE PLAYER.


BROOKS IN '64, HIS MVP YEAR.


CAPTURING A UNIQUE MOTION.


YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR FIRST HARPER.
ONE OF THE BETTER MINI-STREAK BLURBS.


I MISS POPSICLES.


WHAT A COOL CARD.

The awesome Future Stars logo takes me back to Bo Jackson, B.J. Surhoff and Tim Pyznarski. Another plus with this retro set: Topps managed to recreate the typography spot on with the original. But the Mini-Streak blurb often is a bit of a reach.

The only other negative is, to my knowledge, no pages exist to fit these little buggers. If UltraPro or some other manufacturer starts making them, I could enjoy them even more.

As it is, these minis, along with Archives, deepen my appreciation for sets of the past when it was all about the cardboard.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, and YES! Some of the player inclusions in the Update edition are a bit of a stretch, but I'm not complaining one bit. And, you are 100% right with your commentary on lack of proper binder page. The world would be a better place if such things existed.

    ReplyDelete