Friday, November 23, 2012

BLACK FRIDAY

POWELL WAS AL MVP; BROOKS WAS 7TH, FRANK 10TH.
"When Black Friday comes, I'm gonna dig myself a hole ...''
Steely Dan

To celebrate our annual bacchanalian pilgrimage to stand in line outside a mall in the wee hours to get a free skiing vampire snow globe, let's 
look at some Black Beauties, aka 1971 Topps cards.

Specifically, my 36-card Orioles team set that celebrates the players from the '70 World Series club that won 108 games. It took me several years working on and off to build it. Befitting such a grand project, I've housed it in these black-bordered plexiglass nine-card display frames, suitable for hanging. Or I can carry one around and pretend it's an iPad.

The '70 Orioles: My favorite team ever. Happy Holidays and more importantly Happy Bargain Hunting.


McNALLY AND CUELLAR EACH WON 24 GAMES. 
RESERVE RETTENMUND HIT .322 WITH 18 HRs, 58 RBI, 13 STEALS.
ENDED THE SEASON ON AN 11-GAME WIN STREAK 
AND LOST ONLY ONCE IN THE POSTSEASON.

HOW IN THE HELL DID WEAVER MANAGE 318 WINS
BUT ONLY ONE WORLD SERIES TITLE FROM '69-'71?

No comments:

Post a Comment