Wednesday, November 14, 2012

IT'S HERE

THE WHOLE IS GREATER THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS.

Let me add to the excitement -- or is it angst? -- over the Topps Heritage High Numbers to bring you another box break today: The Fleer Cal Ripken Jr. Career Highlights Box Set.

Don't act disappointed.

I got this, No. 23,572 of 50,000, thrown into a deal over the weekend. And even though it's not promised on the box, I managed to pull an autographed Ripken card.

Some guys have all the luck.

Just kidding. Trying to keep the Heritage theme going and your interest as long as I can.


THIS CARD WAS NOT INCLUDED.

Anyway, Ripken is one of my favorite players, and I'm a sucker for career tributes like the Hank Aaron Special, The Pete Rose Years and The Yanni Chronicles.  

The Ripken set is a bit fat at 60 cards, including 20 reprints, 10 Career Highlights, 13 The Streak and 17 Final Season cards. About the only aspect missing is Hotels to Call My OwnAfter ripping the cellophane, slicing the seal and looking through it, fat might be a little kind. OK, the set's a porker. But they're Ripken cards so I guess it's fine to binge. 


BUT THESE WERE: THE FIRST NINE CARDS.

WOULD'VE PREFERRED BIGGER PHOTOS, LESS BORDER.

BLACK BORDERS ... BETTER, BUT STILL TOO MUCH.
Every card has that neat Ripken logo players wore on their jersey sleeve during his final season in '01, including the reprints, which are disappointing. I'll never again criticize Topps for being unable to recreate its typography. These Fleers look like they were counterfeited on a low-grade copier. 

Still, all in all, a pretty neat set for the average Ripken stalker. But nothing to hyperventilate over or rail against or dwell too much on though. 


QUALITY CONTROL WAS A BIT LACKING ON THESE REPRINTS.

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, how did I miss this post??

    I'm kinda diggin' this set. Might have to track one down to put into Mrs. K's Christmas stocking this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool set.

    Cal is looking real pretty on the '87 Fleer reprint. Did he lose a bet with his wife or something?

    ReplyDelete