Friday, December 14, 2012

1965 TOPPS CASEY STENGEL

A CLASSIC FINAL CARD.
GAVE THE EXPANSION METS SOME PERSONALITY AT LEAST.

THE FRONT PAGE 

  • Casey Stengel, "The Old Perfessor,'' was one of the true characters in baseball history. He was known as much for his tangled syntax as his winning pedigree as manager of the Yankees from 1949-'60, when his teams won seven World Series, including five consecutive. 
  • He then took over the expansion Mets in a return to the Big Apple in '62. He was entertaining even if his clubs weren't. In his three full seasons, his clubs won 40, 51 and 53 games.

THE BACK PAGE

  • Nice and to-the-point career summation, which doesn't make any sense on a Stengel card. Let's translate this into Stengelese: 
  • "Yes, it's true and not just some campfire legend that Casey was a baseball favorite of the fans of the game of baseball for a very long time going back a ways, managing for 37 years, which you may or may not know, and in case you didn't, Casey's uniform number is 37, but numbers notwithstanding, it wasn't all that long ago when ''The old professor,'' around 1910, was then at the time with Maysville of the Blue Grass League, in which incidentally he won a batting crown but not incidentally batted over .300 nine times in 20 years plus a couple more years, but that hitting didn't have nothing to do with managing and managing nothing to do with hitting and that's when he started managing the Yankees in '49, when those same Yanks won the first of let's say five pennants and World Series titles that if you added all the pennants and World Series titles together the Yanks won during that time would add up to about 10 pennants in 12 seasons, not counting World Series titles, but then the NL added the Mets in '62 and the Mets added Casey, who's still managing the Mets, currently.'' 
  • There, that's better.

PHOTO PLAY

  • A spectacular shot, capturing the man, the myth, the legend. 

EXTRA, EXTRA

  • "All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to height.''
  • "The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.'' 
  • "Never make predictions, especially about the future.'' 
  • "They (the Yankees) told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being 70 again.'' 
  • "You gotta lose 'em some of the time. When you do, lose 'em right.''
  • "If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are.'' 
  • "Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in.''
  • "There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain.'' 
  • And the creme de la creme from Stengel's testimony during the Senate Antitrust and Monopoly Subcommittee Hearing from July 8, 1958, when politicians got to hear a different kind of filibuster when he was asked if the Yankees would keep winning: 
  • "Well, I will tell you I got a little concerned yesterday in the first three innings when I saw the three players I had gotten rid of, and I said when I lost nine, what am I going to do, and when I had a couple of my players I thought so great of that did not do so good up to the sixth inning, I was more confused, but I finally had to go and call on a young man in Baltimore that we don't own and the Yankees don't own him, and he is doing pretty good, and I would actually have to tell you that I think we are more like a Greta Garbo-type now from success.'' 
  • When Mickey Mantle was called upon to testify next he said on cue: "My views are just about the same as Casey's.''

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Great choice of card for examination, and a great write up (as always). When you showed this particular Ol' Case card a while back I immediately added it to my "must acquire" list.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete