Sunday, April 14, 2013

SLURPEE STARS: BROOKS ROBINSON



FANTA WILD CHERRY: NOT BAD.




I LOVE THAT '70s ORIOLES LOGO.


The Orioles play the Yankees tonight on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball. This is the second in a series of featuring one of my Slurpee baseball cups but not before filling it with the frosty and sugary goodness from my local 7-Eleven and settling in to watch the game. 

As a Brooks Robinson fan, naturally this was my favorite Slurpee cup. I thought the likeness was pretty good, too. I got it a couple months into the 1973 season from my favorite neighborhood 7-Eleven. The '73 Orioles would win the AL East but fall to the A's in five games in the ALCS. 

Robinson was on the downside of his 23-year career in '73, hitting nine homers, driving in 72 and batting .257. He did win his 14th of 16 consecutive Gold Gloves.

Even though I didn't know anything about product placement, I practiced it that day and every time I drank from it afterward: Always have the front facing outward when held or placed on a table. Madison Avenue would've adored me, and I think Brooks would've appreciated it.

I certainly appreciated his glove work three years before in the World Series, when he tormented Johnny Bench, Lee May and the rest of the right-handed pull-hitters from The Big Red Machine on the way to Series MVP honors. That made a particular 8-year-old youngster from Tampa giddy and fully redeemed after the '69 disaster.

Some 43 years later, here's to the 1970 Orioles, and Viva La Brooksie!

1 comment: