Thursday, July 4, 2013

1993 TOPPS FINEST: #40 MARQUIS GRISSOM


HAD SERIOUS SPEED TO BURN.




COMING OFF A SEASON THAT RAISED EXPECTATIONS.


DEFINING THE PLAYER

DEFINING MOMENT

  • With the Indians trailing the Orioles 4-2 in Game 2 of the ALCS on Oct. 9, 1997, Grissom came to bat in the eighth and clubbed a three-run homer off Armando Benitez. The 5-4 win evened the series that the Indians would go on to win in six games. 

DEFINING SEASON

  • In '92 with the Expos, Grissom led the majors in steals with a career-high 78 and added 14 homers, finishing ninth in NL MVP voting.

FIVE FINAL FACTS

  1. Stole 76 bases in '91 (82 percent success rate) and 78 in '92 (86 percent).
  2. Born and reared in Atlanta, Grissom was traded to the Braves in April '95 for #120 Roberto Kelly, Tony Tarasco and Esteban Yan.
  3. Caught the final out in Game 6 of the '95 World Series as Atlanta won its first.
  4. Grissom owned the Rockies in the NL Division Series that year. In his first postseason series, he hit .524 with three home runs and four RBI in the four-game sweep.
  5. Grissom was involved in another blockbuster trade, this one coming in March '97. The Braves sent him and #1 David Justice to the Indians for #43 Kenny Lofton and Alan Embree.
Fly your flag today.

2 comments:

  1. I've recently begun collecting Marquis. I guess I should say I always half-heartedly saved my Marquis cards, but recently I've been actively looking out for them. I even found a card that shows him smiling, but my favorite cards of his feature what I have dubbed the "Grissom Grimace."

    ReplyDelete