Friday, July 12, 2013

8 DIVIDED BY 5 = LA GRAND HAUL





I haven't had a card show post in a while, so let's flip through a recent short stack of finds:

Saturday's monthly extravaganza was at the swanky Sheraton Suites in Fort Lauderdale after being held at the dingy Dania Beach Jai Alai. The conference room where it was held was a little cramped, but I wasn't complaining. It's a card show. I'd go even if it was held in a dentist office waiting room.

After scoring 18 cards to move within three of completing the 704-card 1976 set, I concentrated on picking up some '50s and '60s. The five I got came from ace dealer John Bucci, most noteworthy my first Gil Hodges, a sweet '59.





The '68 Billy Williams is now the second oldest card I have of the sweet-swinging No. 26.






Then it was multiple-player card time. Don't know about you, but I've always loved those with two or more players, which, of course, means I relish rookie, leaders and highlight cards. No doubt a single-player card on a great design with a super photo is still best, but double-player cards always grab my attention and seem just that little bit extra special.

Especially when they're in John's mark-down box.

And especially when one of the players is named Dooley.






Yes, sir, don't know much about ol' Dooley Womack -- other than I love the name -- but I will as this card will be featured in the coming weeks. Oh, and that's a Yankees' favorite son on the left.

Another '66 Rookie Stars card I nabbed was that Don Sutton rookie. Sutton pairs nicely with two-time 20-game winner Bill Singer: They combined for 442 victories.

Finally, the one that jumped out and landed on top of the pile was the card saluting the '64 NL ERA Leaders from the '65 set. Any card with Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale needs a home, and there's always a vacancy at The Cardboard Examiner home office for these kinds of strays.




2 comments:

  1. That Hodges with the Memorial Coliseum archways in the background really is a nice card.

    And I have a Dooley Womack collection, seriously I do. Back then my friends and I in NJ decided his name was pretty cool/stupid and we all became fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet haul! Anytime you can score a Sutton from his "Dumbo Ears" period is cause for celebration.

    ReplyDelete