Monday, July 29, 2013

ODDBALL ROLL CALL: 1992 CRACKER JACK BOBBY BONILLA


DAMN NEAR ORIGINAL SIZE.



FORENSIC MICROSCOPE RECOMMENDED.


Feeling a bit odd and car-lagged after a 2,000-mile two-week vacation. To mimic my mood, I'll feature a week's worth of oddball cards to help reintegrate back into life, work and card blogging.  


WHY I LIKE IT

  • An incredible micro card designed by Donruss that accurately reflects how incredibly small big free-agent acquisition Bobby Bonilla measured up on Broadway. After signing the richest contract in December 1991 with the Mets, Bonilla proclaimed to the media, "You guys won't be able to knock the smile off my face,'' a year before scowling to a reporter, "I'll show you the Bronx,'' in a threat to tear him limb from limb. In '92, Bobby Bo hit .249 with 19 homers and 70 RBI. Somebody should've shown him a mirror.

WHAT'S THE STORY?

  • This micro comes from the second series of 36 cards that measures 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 inches and was featured as the prize in Cracker Jack boxes. The front design is exactly the same as the regular-sized '92 Donruss cards but the backs are way different.

HOW I ACQUIRED IT

  • Best guess is I bought a box of that crunchy swill at a ballgame. Buy me some peanuts, but hold the Cracker Jacks, and I won't care if I ever get back.

SHOULD'VE NEVER LEFT PITTSBURGH.




'92 DONRUSS HAD SOME KILLER BACKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment