Friday, August 2, 2013

OBRC: 1990 KMART SUPER STARS JEFF BALLARD


CAME OUT OF THE BLUE IN '89, JUST LIKE THE O's.





THAT SHUTOUT WAS AMID AN 8-1 RUN FOR THE BIRDS.



WHY I LIKE IT

  • An 18-game winner for the 1989 Orioles, who battled the Blue Jays for the AL East title all the way to October, Jeff Ballard emerged as a vital cog in the rotation despite pedestrian stuff. This card captures his unassuming status on the Why Not Orioles.

WHAT'S THE STORY?

  • This 33-card box set is the last Kmart produced after sets in '82, '87, '88 and '89. I remember going into Kmarts back in the day and seeing a pile of box sets at the end of an aisle, usually near the kites, balsa wood airplanes, yoyos and Frisbees. 

HOW I ACQUIRED IT

  • I never bought the '90 Kmart set; I got the Ballard and a couple other cards in a repack a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment