Wednesday, August 21, 2013

POSSESSING WILPOWER


2013 BOWMAN




TOP 100 PROSPECTS



Wil Myers has played in only 52 major-league games and he already has at least that many cards. Never before been interested in minor-league cards -- the team sets of the 1980s and '90s were kind of vanilla -- but I gave in recently to the lure of Myers, my new favorite active player.

Lacking the Wilpower to just say no, I went shopping on COMC.



2011 TOPPS




HERITAGE MINORS



As a watch-or-listen-to-every-game Rays fan, I know all about the off-season trade to get the '12 minor-league player of the year from the Royals. Also as a Rays fan, I know they haven't called up an impact hitter since Evan Longoria in '08. I followed Myers' progress at Triple-A Durham and couldn't wait for his arrival in Tampa Bay. 

Promoted in June, the Dale Murphy lookalike began raking immediately while playing good defense and showing aggressive but intelligent base-running ability. 



2012 TOPPS




PRO DEBUT



He has a stylish bat flip to punctuate homers but shows respect for the game and its umpires. 

He's a rookie right fielder, yet hits cleanup most nights.

He's batting .312 with nine homers, 39 RBI and an .852 OPS in 202 at-bats through Tuesday.

He wears zero batting gloves. 

That might be my favorite stat.

He hasn't taken the game by storm quite the way Yasiel Puig has, but he helped the Rays go 21-4 in July and vault into the AL East race. He's also stirred the urge to acquire some minor cardboard of a potential major star.



2013 BOWMAN CHROME



CREAM OF THE CROP MINI REFRACTOR


I'm happy I gave in, but his first major-league card is the one I'm really waiting for. That will earn the center square of the first page in the binder.

At least I'm getting in on the ground floor, something I can brag about if he becomes a perennial All-Star. Just hope his career doesn't bottom out. More importantly, I hope the small-market Rays sign Myers to a long-term deal to buy out some free-agent years like they've done with Longo.

Minor-league cards certainly have come a long way from those spartan team sets. With Bowman leading the charge these days, seems like every bush-leaguer gets a sparkly chrome card before his first professional season is in the books.



2013 BOWMAN CHROME




CREAM OF THE CROP MINI BLUE WAVE REFRACTOR



Few have the shine of a future star like Myers. I didn't buy these cards as any sort of investment; I got them because it's really exciting to have a rookie phenom on your team. No illusions here of collecting every Myers card. With all the parallels and inserts ... makes me dizzy even contemplating such a hopeless task. That I have a 3-inch binder started with my first Myers' cards probably says I intend to add a few more. 

A certified autographed card sure would be a nice for No. 11. Then again, his official Topps rookie card would be even nicer and much cheaper. 



2011 BOWMAN




TOPPS 100





2010 TOPPS 




PRO DEBUT





2011 BOWMAN CHROME




FUTURE-FRACTOR




2011 BOWMAN CHROME




THROWBACKS




2011 TOPPS




HERITAGE MINORS ALL-STAR


No comments:

Post a Comment