Friday, August 30, 2013

PURSUE THE PENNANTS: LONG LIVE 1965


WILL I CHECK THESE OFF BEFORE I CHECK OUT?


Few baseball sets elicit such universal acclaim as the 598-card wonder from 1965. The colorful design with the iconic waving pennant likely is on everybody's top-five all-time vintage set list.

Certainly on mine. Now I'll try to build it, hopefully before I kick. Tomorrow is promised to nobody.



COOL CARD.


I bought a sharp-as-a-tack starter set at a I-can't-pass-up price from my buddy John Bucci at the August card show a few weeks back. I already had several '65s, including #16 Joe Morgan, #250 Willie Mays and #581 Tony Perez among others. Hardly all the big cards, but it's a start.

So I venture out on this quest with 392 cards, including 34 of 43 short-prints, 65.5 percent complete. What a perfect starting percentage. I have a long way to go but hopefully a long time to get there. 



KITTY KATT?


You will be witnesses here at The Cardboard Examiner. 

I intend to chronicle this journey along with every card in the feature Pursue the Pennants. Thought about creating a separate blog, but that was done already here. Before entertaining that thought, I mulled if the set was even worth attempting. At 51, I'm no spring chicken. Can I put this thing to bed in Ex+ condition before being laid to rest? Will I want or be able to devote the cash and patience necessary? If I succeed, will I still have enough marbles rolling around to appreciate it?



A FULL PAGE OF '65s IS A BEAUTIFUL THING.


I mean, isn't there a chance of winding up as that weird-smelling Q-Tip on the park bench, feeding the pigeons and squirrels little scraps of these '65s while mumbling inaudibly about soup? These are relevant questions, even if my wife thinks I'm silly for thinking in such terms.

No doubt I need to stay in shape, drive defensively and avoid watching the Rays blow late leads. Maybe then I'll be around to see that final card go into the album. Probably won't actually see it but hopefully be able to slide it into the pocket, even if it's upside down. 



HAT-LESS CARDS PART OF THIS SET'S CHARM.


Main thing: Focus on enjoying the process of building the greatest set of the '60s that was issued smack dab in the middle of one of the best decades of baseball. 

Long live '65! 

Most importantly, long live me. Please.



AT LEAST I HAVE THIS BIG ONE OUT OF THE WAY.



A WORLD SERIES ACE FOR THE DODGERS.



THE DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPS.



ONE OF THOSE PESKY SPs.

2 comments:

  1. Don't fear the reaper and just enjoy the journey, man. This is a great one to undertake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my '65 journey back in 2006 (at age 35), and in 2014 (at age 43) I am 4 cards away from finishing it! With the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland next week (about 5 miles from my house), I am hopeful to have it completed! And then on to the 1960 Topps set! Happy collecting!

    ReplyDelete