Friday, October 11, 2013

CHROME SWEET CHROME




A fascination with chrome plating began after seeing Crager wheels on a muscle car in the 1970s.

Man, those babies gleamed. One day when I have a car, they'll be on it. That day never came. I mean, how cool would they have looked on the Ford Pinto wagon my parents gave me in '80?

The Pinto's long gone. The love of chrome never went away. 


RED SOX BROKE HIS ARROW AND MY HEART.


Vintage automobile fenders.

Motorcycle tailpipes.

Butter knives.

With the exception of sanitized dental instruments, if it's polished and reflecting an image, I'm gliding a hand over it with an itch to buff. Romanticizing about this fondness came to the surface after digging out the '93 Topps Baseball's Finest set from the closet and throwing it into an album earlier this year. Finest, of course, began the chrome baseball card age.  


TOPPS' BEST IMAGE FROM '13.


When the latest Topps Chrome cards hit shelves this month, it was like returning to 1977 in Doc Brown's platinum DeLorean. After visiting the Target card aisle, I instinctively walked to automotive for Simoniz and a chamois while calculating how to generate 1.21 gigawatts to fly back home.


SEE YOU IN 2015.

Then after ripping into a Blaster and three additional packs, I saw my reflection multiple times and predicted six more weeks of summer. My opinion of this release is just as sunny. The crisp and clean design works well with the Chrome technology, even if the scans don't accurately reflect it. These are definitely need-to-hold-it-in-your-hand-to-appreciate cards, especially the '72 refractor inserts. 


IMPRESSIVE INSERT.

If Chrome technology existed back in the day, I doubt bored kids like me would've clipped these into our bicycle spokes. Not when we could've used them to fry ants on the sidewalk. Back to the Present: '13 Topps Chrome gets a vote for set of the year from someone generally more interested in vintage. 

Yep, these babies shine.

Like hood ornaments.

State trooper-issued sunglasses.

Hattori Hanzo swords.

And did I mention my affection for diamond plating and prism tape?


REGULAR REFRACTOR.



BLUE REFRACTOR.



PURPLE REFRACTOR.



ORANGE REFRACTOR.



SUPER REFRACTOR.



SUPER DUPER LIMB EXTRACTOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment