Friday, November 22, 2013

HOARDER OR COLLECTOR?





Every time my baseball card and autograph collection gets strewn about, I ask myself


Am I hoarding or collecting?



Honestly, sometimes myself has trouble answering.

The rationalization always is "I'm not one of those goobers on TV despite how all this looks.'' 

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it's time to find out if there's a problem.

I'm guessing I'm not alone, so let's take the following "Compulsive Hoarding Self-Test'' together, shall we? Regardless of the results, keep in mind hoarding is the "in'' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder to have nowadays, vaulting past hand-washing, counting/arranging and checking.


Find yourself collecting items that others do not consider valuable?

  • Yes. 1989 Bowman, Spaceman Lee, Sportflics, Ben Zobrist, Topps Big, a Juan Gonzalez autographed baseball, '86 Topps Stickers ...

Experience difficulty or find it impossible to discard your collected items?

  • No. Once tossed an empty '91 Topps wax box (after clipping the four box-bottom cards).

Are there rooms inside your home or places outside your home that are cluttered with items you have collected?

  • No. Sports memorabilia is not piled up on the lawn killing the grass, on blocks in the driveway blocking the garage nor propped against the house chipping the paint. 

Need to give permission for others to discard items that you collect?

  • Yes. My wife would need written clearance to toss, for example, the '57 Brooks Robinson rookie card and/or '70 Orioles team autographed baseball.

Find difficulty organizing the items you have collected?

  • No. Organizing comes down to finally getting sick and tired of not being organized enough to find stuff. It also helps to have a few thousand sports card pages and some binders and ball cubes and storage boxes. Moving into a bigger house helps, too.

Dislike others touching the items you have collected?

  • No. But first use five drops of hand sanitizer, scrub thoroughly and count to 10.

If you answered YES to most of the above questions, 

YOU MIGHT BE A COMPULSIVE HOARDER.



This particular quiz goes on to list some items commonly hoarded.
  • Old clothes
  • Receipts
  • Food wrappers
  • Mechanical parts
  • School papers
  • Junk mail
  • Notes or lists
  • Containers
  • Toiletries
Can honestly say you won't find any of that crap in my collection.

However, do Ken Griffey Jr., Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn candy bar wrappers count? 

What about junk wax?

Dog-eared and crossed-off set want lists? 

A plastic repack cube with a cracked lid?

Yes, indeedy, hoarding is hot right now.

3 comments:

  1. Find yourself collecting items that others do not consider valuable? YES - I collect damaged cards and draft busts.

    Experience difficulty or find it impossible to discard your collected items? DEPENDS - If I like the stuff, then YES. But I give away cards to my students all of the time... so NO.

    Are there rooms inside your home or places outside your home that are cluttered with items you have collected? SOMETIMES - Part of my collection takes up my buddy's garage and my parent's garage. And every now and then, I'll sort cards in my living room, but I try not to leave it there for more than a week.

    Need to give permission for others to discard items that you collect? YES - I'd be upset if anyone threw away something without asking.

    Find difficulty organizing the items you have collected? YES - I have a box on my desk dedicated to cards that need to be sorted. I can't remember the last time there wasn't anything in that box.

    Dislike others touching the items you have collected? YES & NO - I have no problem with people viewing my stuff if they ask, but if a guest started pulling cards from boxes I'd probably get annoyed because I try to keep things organized.

    Looks like I might need some cardboard counseling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely a hoarder, stricken with an incurable case of OCD. I have old popcorn tins filled with receipts from 20 years ago. You never know when you're going to need a Walgreens receipt from 2004 -- you might have to return the toothpaste, after all. I also used to save every ATM receipt. And I think I have pay stubs from three or four jobs ago. Guilty all over.

    All said, though, I'm at peace with who and what I am. I'm not hurting anyone. Plus, my house isn't a disaster area because my OCD forces me to constantly be cleaning or tidying or dusting or washing. I have a "man room" that houses all my sports memorabilia and baseball cards, but it's self contained and pretty orderly for the most part.

    Anyhow, nobody asked for my biography. But, I loved your post and felt compelled to share.

    God Bless Us, Everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reassuring to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete