Friday, December 27, 2013

SAID BILL LEE




Bill Lee received three votes for the Hall of Fame in his first and only year on the ballot in 1988, 0.7 percent of the vote. If the Hall of Flakes existed, Spaceman would threaten 100 percent. And on that plaque would be written, "A flake for the ages who uttered some of the galaxy's best quotes and observations.'' Lee is known as much for his wit as his 119 victories over 14 seasons. A sampling from Baseball Almanac and his book The Wrong Stuff.






"DO THEY LEAVE IT (THE GREEN MONSTER) THERE DURING THE GAME?''



"I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now, the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens, it won't matter if I get this guy out.''






"i would change policy, bring back natural grass and nickel beer. baseball is the belly-button of our society. straighten out baseball, and you straighten out the rest of the world.''



"Most of the managers are lifetime .220 hitters. For years, pitchers have been getting these managers out 75 percent of the time, and that's why they don't like us.''





"The more self-centered and egotistical a guy is, the better ballplayer he's going to be.''



"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the '60s I tested everything.''






"I'm mad at Hank (Aaron) for deciding to play one more season. I threw him his last home run (Sept. 14, 1975) and thought I'd be remembered forever. Now, I'll have to throw him another.''





"You have two hemispheres in your brain -- a left and a right side. The left side controls the right side of your body and right controls the left half. It's a fact. Therefore, left-handers are the only people in their right minds.''







"You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church.''





"For years I've been called a rebel. Well, I'm not. 
It's guys like (Athletics owner Charlie) Finley who are the rebels. 
I'm a baseball traditionalist.''






"The DH rule was the bastard son
 of Bowie Kuhn and Charlie Finley.''







"by the time the yankees left fenway ...'' (after the four-game sweep known as the boston massacre in september 1978), "it was as if the entire team had just returned from cambodia.''




"STRIKEOUTS, FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, ARE BORING THINGS. NOTHING HAPPENS. THEY ARE FASCIST WEAPONS. I PREFER THE GROUND-BALL OUT 
AND VIEW IT AS THE PERFECT SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY.''







"I always figured that when I was through 

as a major-leaguer, I would go to work on my grandfather's walnut ranch. I wasn't concerned about the future. The future might not get here. I viewed 

free-agency as a corruption of the game, putting too much emphasis on things monetary.''






No comments:

Post a Comment