Friday, April 25, 2014

CHECK-LESS FOR A REASON

ONE UNMARKED CHECKLIST ...


Because I never collected sets as a kid in the 1970s, I had no use for checklist cards. 

That all changed.

Since '87, I've been collecting sets as an adult. Instead of flipping checklists into the trash, they go into the recycle bin. Actually, they go into the pages with the rest of the cards. 


GETTING TEDIOUS ...


Still, I've never actually filled in those squares. I've seen pictures of checked cards. Most look like a messy art project that went horribly wrong. A few look like an architect completed them.  

My limited talents do not extent to art or drawing straight lines. Yes, perfectly filling in a tiny box or bubble is a talent, only a step below perfectly completing a coloring book page all inside the margins. 


SHORTHAND CHECKLIST TRICK ...


I've always been a little rough around the edges when it comes to penmanship. They must love me at the local voting precinct, probably throwing out my ballots for general sloppiness. Remember, I live in Florida, election fraud capital of the Western Hemisphere.


NAILED IT: HAMMER TIME ...


This is all leading to '65 Heritage and the lack of checklist cards. I had planned to shade them in studiously, square by square. If Topps is trying to recapture an era, 1965 in this case, seems only natural it would've included checklists.

To get this filling-out-a-checklist thing out of my system, I found one from the '88 Donruss set. As you can see, I attempted to fill it in, got a bit frustrated and improvised. I tried conventional, the pen, then unconventional, hammer and nail, hole punch and finally, just fired darts at it. Chuck this!


NICE! A HOLE PUNCH GETS 2 AT A TIME ...


ANYONE FOR A GAME OF DARTS?

You know, I'm OK with '65 Heritage not having checklist cards. What a waste of cardboard. Incidentally, you'll find the link to my wantlist in the titlebar. You'll find it much neater.

1 comment:

  1. I have one card available from your Heritage want list: #392 Travis Wood. I am going to send it to you because a post as entertaining as this deserves to be acknowledged. You had me at the hole punch... but then the darts... perfect.

    Email me with your address...

    ReplyDelete